Last night I went along to the Katoomba Christian Convention (kcc.org.au) run event entitled Burn Your Plastic Jesus at the Sydney Entertainment Centre. I thought it wasn’t too bad. They said there was about 10,000 people there!!! Mark Driscoll was the speaker and he spoke for about an hour and a half, including questions on Jesus, both the perceived and the true. Definitely some thought provoking material in here which begs to be addressed within Sydney and beyond.
This is a copy of my notes, taken on my iPhone since I neglected to bring a pen….
- A) RELIGIOUS JESUS
- B) BLING JESUS – prosperity
- C) MORAL JESUS – super nanny
- D) AUSSIE JESUS – mantropy
- E) COUNTRY JESUS
- F) SPIRITUAL JESUS – Oprah
- G) PENSIONER CARD JESUS – Jesus is for old people.
Culture believes in it. The one visited several times in life instilling sense of moral. Just another religious guy.
-Born into it -> second birth
-about what I do -> what he has done
-if u obey god then he will love u -> god loves u so we obey him.
-pride or despair -> love, be humble, not about u, but Jesus
Result of consumerism, Jesus exists to give u what u want. Getting from Jesus as opposed to Getting Jesus.
Standard of living vs standard of giving.
Getting kids to obey. 59% of kids go to church. Kids going to Christian schools.
Problem is people see Jesus as an example, but it’s not enough we need him as our enabler. The ONLY one that can help us be like him
Late blooming men – leaving home, marriage.
– more Christians in the country. Uneducated, not busy. View is that Jesus is not for highly educated city folk. Historically Jesus is for city folk. Bible starts in garden, ends in cities
All religions are the same and correct, choose the one that works for u, but don’t say that other beliefs are wrong.
-It’s dangerous. Satan and demons are part of that world
-Intolerance is natural, and doesn’t work.
-Selfish, what if it doesn’t work for u.
-All religions don’t teach the same thing. Different view on Jesus.
-> Jesus is most tolerant and inclusive, welcomes everybody
Jesus was a young man. Have a sense of urgency. God is raising up younger people to serve Jesus. Swim against the current. Young people so theybcan grow old well.
Rom 8:1 – convicted
Rev 12 – Satan accuser
WHO JESUS ACTUALLY IS
- Jesus came down from heaven
- Jesus performed miracles
- Jesus said he was God. He was put to death because of it.
- Jesus said he was without sin
- Jesus forgives all sin, past present future
- John 14:6 – no one comes to the father except by me, Jesus is narrow; THE WAY
Heaven is Gods home, Jesus is God come down
Mark 14 I Am, Son of Man.
John 10: 30
Sin- omission, commission, thoughts , woes, deed motives
Jesus was put to death because of all these claims, repeatedly and clearly said that he was God and the only way to have relationship with God in heaven.
We all live forever, the only difference is where.
Fear that Sydney is a good enough heaven.